According to the Society for Human Resource Management:
...only 29% of workers between 31 and 61 say they're "very satisfied" with their job. The other 71% are either "somewhat satisfied" or not satisfied at all.
It's Wednesday, and you're probably hating your job even more than usual. So here's something from Forbes.com to help. It's the five things you should do if you just can't stand your job anymore.
#1.) Start by Doing a Quick Self-Assessment. That means figuring out WHY you hate your job. Have you ALWAYS hated it? Or did you just RECENTLY start hating it? And do you hate it because of your CO-WORKERS or your actual WORK?
According to one expert, you should make a list of the pros and cons of your job, and what you'd want in your NEXT job. You might realize that if you change a few things around, you won't hate what you're doing as much as you think.
#2.) Try to Figure Out Why You're Not Happy. For example, if you want to quit because you're always stressed out, changing jobs may or may not help.
Chances are, work isn't the ONLY stressful thing in your life. And some people blame their job for more stress than it really creates. So if you're not happy in GENERAL, then switching jobs might not help. Or maybe it WILL. You just need to think long and hard about it before you do anything.
#3.) Talk to Your Supervisor. Once you have a good handle on WHY you're not happy, you should talk to your boss about it. He might be able to improve your situation, and it might be easier for him to do than you think.
#4.) Don't Be Unprofessional. Even if you DO decide to leave. That way, you won't burn any bridges and you'll still have good references.
Plus, if you change your mind and stay, you won't be embarrassed about anything you did while you were on the fence.
#5.) Look for Opportunities with Your Current Employer That You Might Enjoy More. That doesn't necessarily mean a different position. It might just be a new project you want to be part of.
It seems like adding more to your workload will make your job WORSE. But if it's something you actually enjoy doing, it could make your whole job more tolerable.
(Image Via. Yuval Haimovits/Flickr. Used under Creative Commons)